Monday, August 3, 2020

Bean & Mushroom Enchilada Casserole (WFPBNO)

The last time I made this dish we were vegan but no Whole Food Plant Based No Oil. So in stead of using vegan crumbs I used mushrooms. I also made my own sour cream using a Tofu Sour Cream recipe I found online. I also had Brand New Vegan's Cheese Sauce in the frig and dolloped that on top for the last 15 minutes. This was really good. I think I would like the mushrooms to be in bigger chunks for the next time so it's more toothy. But all in all I think this was a huge success.

  • 1 8-ounce package baby bella mushrooms, sliced, chopped or quartered
  • 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 4-ounce can diced green chili peppers
  • 8 ounces tofu sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 8 6-inch corn or flour tortillas
  • 1 10-ounce can green enchilada sauce
  • 1 cup cheese sauce

Chop onion and mushrooms.

Add mushrooms, onions, chili powder and cumin and saute until onion is tender. If needed add a splash of water to keep from sticking. Remember the mushrooms will begin to release their liquid as they cook.

Stir in pinto beans and un-drained chili peppers. Stir well and set aside.

In a small container mix sour cream, flour and garlic powder until well combined. Set aside.

Place half the tortillas in the bottom of a casserole dish. I cut one in half to fit the dish better.

Top with half of the bean/mushroom mixture.

Top with half of the sour cream mixture.

Add half of the enchilada sauce.

Repeat all three layers (tortillas, rest of bean/mushroom mixture, sour cream mixture and enchilada sauce.

Cover dish with lid or foil and bake at 350F for 35 minutes.

Uncover, dollop with cheese sauce and cook for another 5-10 minutes until it's nice and bubbly.

I serve these types of dishes with shredded lettuce, salsa and pickled jalapenos.

Enjoy!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment