Friday, July 24, 2020

Goulash

I haven't made or eaten Goulash in forever, but I saw a picture in a magazine and knew I could make this WFPBNO. It is a little heavy on the tomato, next time I make it I think I'll use only 1 can of tomato sauce and fill the can with water and add it for volume.

  • 3 smallish yellow onions, diced (if your's are large use 2)
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cans (14.5 oz) tomato sauce (I had Organic)
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) fire-roasted tomatoes
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable Better Than Bouillon
  • 1 can brown lentils, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, small dice
  • 1 tablespoon of the sauce only from a can of Chipotle Peppers
  • 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire Sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 1/2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked


In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, saute onions and garlic in a splash of water until translucent.

Add red bell peppers and give it a good stir. Add another splash of water if needed. Cook about 5 minutes until peppers are softening.

Add lentils and mushrooms. Cook about 7 minutes. The mushrooms should release some liquid. If needed add another splash of water.

Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water, bouillon, soy sauce and bay leaves. Stir well.

Let cook about 10-12 minutes and be sure it is boiling. Then add the noodles.

Stir so that the noodles don't stick to the bottom of the pot. I had to stir constantly since my pasta really wanted to stick. You can lower the heat, but keep it at a boil.

Once the noodles are done (check your package for cooking time). You are ready to eat. Be careful it's very hot.

I added a shot of Frank's hot sauce to mine, not a lot but I just love the flavor of Frank's.

You could also make this in a slow cooker. Just let it go for a few hours and add the pasta about 30 minutes before serving.
Enjoy!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment