Sunday, July 7, 2024

Smashed Oven-Fried Okra (WFPBNO)

This is SO good!!! I found this recipe in my latest Southern Living magazine and knew I had to make it WFPBNO. The original recipe called for egg, salt and canola oil. This uses none of those things. We are growing okra again this summer and we have more than we know what to do with and I've already picked 1 quart jar and 3 pints. So I've made this about 3 times already. I was just saying how much I missed fried okra and lo and behold, Southern Living came through for me. I bake this delicious okra in the toaster oven so I don't heat up the house. If you give this a try please come back and leave me a comment. 
  • 1/2 cup plant milk, I used soy
  • 1 egg replacement, I used Bob's Red Mill
  • 2/3 cup plain yellow cornmeal
  • 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
  • fresh okra pods
  • Creole Comeback Sauce (recipe below)

Preheat oven to 450F. Whisk together milk, 1/3 cup water; add the egg replacement and stir well.

Add the cornmeal and creole seasoning to a bowl that will accommodate the okra pods.

Working with 1 pod at a time, place the pod on a clean work surface.

Crush with a rolling pin until split in places. 

Repeat with remaining okra. I only cooked what we were going to eat that night. I have not tried to reheat them yet, but I think they will reheat in the oven just fine.

Set up a dipping station. Dip each pod in the milk mixture. Then add to cornmeal mixture and toss until coated. Then add to a parchment covered baking dish.

Before going into the toaster oven.

Bake until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 20 minutes in total. Carefully turn them over at the halfway mark. Remove from oven and lightly sprinkle with salt if desired.

I served these with the Creole Comeback Sauce, baked potato covered in queso sauce, sliced tomatoes and fresh corn on the cob.

Creole Comeback Sauce:
Stir together 1/4 cup each homemade mayo, plain vegan yogurt, 1 tablespoon ketchup, 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning in a small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Enjoy!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this recipe sounds like a fantastic! I love okra, and the idea of a healthier, oven-fried version has me intrigued. Can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Max Rice, Thanks for stopping by my kitchen. I love this dish. We are WFPBNO and so fried okra was not an option. I love fried okra and when I saw this recipe I knew I had to make it WFPBNO. It is so good I've made it 3 times already. I hope you'll let me know what you think of it after making it. Take care and thank you!

      Delete