Saturday, June 26, 2021

Baked Penne with Tofu Ricotta

I love pasta, any shape and any size, fixed any way. I also love what is mostly a one pot meal that has a few leftover servings. I used penne for this dish but you could use ziti, rigatoni or whatever you have in your pantry. I also used a store bought marinara that I really enjoy. It's made by Barilla and they have a fire roasted marinara, plain marinara and a garlic marinara. I bought the plain one since it has very little oil or sodium added. Feel free to tweak this recipe and make it yours.

  • 14 ounces Penne pasta
  • 24 ounces marinara sauce
  • 1 pound firm tofu, drained and pressed
  • 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley
  • 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • freshly ground black pepper


Drain the tofu and put in on a clean kitchen towel.

Fold towel over the top of the tofu.

Press the tofu with something heavy. I love to use the lid to my Dutch oven.

Preheat oven to 350F. Start water for cooking the pasta. In a medium sized bowl crumble the tofu. 

Add the nutritional yeast, lemon juice and all the spices, including the black pepper.

Cook pasta a couple minutes less than the box indicates. It will finish cooking when baking. Add the drained pasta to a large bowl. Add 2 cups of the marinara. Stir well.

Add just enough marinara (about half of what's left) to the bottom of an 8x8 casserole dish. Cover the entire bottom.

Add half of the pasta to the dish.

Add all of the tofu ricotta.

Top with the remaining pasta.

Cover with the remaining marinara.

Cover with parchment paper.

Cover the parchment paper with a sheet of aluminum foil.

Bake for 45 minutes. (I use my toaster oven so I don't heat up the house.)

Serve with a side salad.
Enjoy!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment