Sunday, June 18, 2023

Refrigerator Pickles (WFPBNO)

I had some Persian cucumbers that needed to be used and decided to make a jar of refrigerator pickles. Normally, you would use a pickling cucumber for this, but what the heck. I will note I didn't have mustard seeds and so I used dried mustard powder. It made the brine cloudy so I suggest you go get some seeds if  you don't have any. However, the flavor was still spot on! These were super easy and don't require a water bath, just put them in frig for 24 hours before enjoying them. 

  • 3-4 pickling cucumbers (I only had Persian and that's what I used), quartered lengthwise
  • 1/4 cup Vidalia onion, sliced
  • 3-5 sprigs fresh dill
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pickling salt or kosher salt (which is what I had on hand)
  • 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
  • 1/4 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
  • Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

In a small pot heat the vinegar, water, garlic and all the spices until the mixture comes to a simmer and salt dissolves. Cool the brine while  you prep the cucumbers.

Slice your cucumbers into quarters, lengthwise and pack a clean pint-size jar with the, the onion slices and dill. 

Once brine is cooled pour over the jar of cucumbers. Close the lid and refrigerate for 24 hours before eating for the best flavor.

Enjoy!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment