Saturday, February 26, 2022

Bean & Corn Enchiladas (WFPBNO)

 I made these last night for dinner. The amounts I use made 4 fat enchiladas. These come together pretty quickly. I started out cooking dried pinto beans in the Inst-Pot for 30 minutes and let them natural release. I highly recommend you add seasoning to the beans (something I didn't do) and the enchiladas were good but would  have been much better if the beans  had some seasonings. I thinking next time I'd add cumin, a some chopped sweet onion, etc. I also made my own Enchilada sauce which is below, I used all of the sauce but these were really saucy. These will definitely be made again.

Enchilada Sauce:
  • 1can (8 ounces) no salt added tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Whisk tomato sauce, chili powder, cornstarch, onion, garlic powder and 1 1/2 cups cold water in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until it thickens, about 5 minutes. Set aside.

Enchilada Filling
  • 1 batch of Enchilada sauce
  • 2 cups pinto beans, smashed
  • 1/2 cup scallion, chopped
  • 3/4 cup frozen, thawed whole kernel corn
  • 1/2 can (2.25 ounces) sliced black olives, drained
  • 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
  • 1/3 cup salsa
  • 4 whole wheat tortillas
  • Garnish: shredded lettuce, salsa, pickled jalapenos, etc

Measure your beans and mash with a fork.

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix all the filling ingredients together in a bowl. 

Cover the bottom of your 8x8 baking dish with a layer of sauce.

Place a tortilla on a flat surface and add 1/4 of the filling to the center of the tortilla.

Fold the sides in and then bring the bottom of the tortilla over the filling. Roll up and place seam side down in your dish.

Cover with remaining sauce.

I had a little filling left over and top each enchilada with a dollop. Cover dish with parchment paper, then with aluminum foil.

Bake for 45 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish as desired,
Enjoy!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment