Sunday, October 6, 2019

McDougall Beefless Stew

I really enjoy Dr. McDougall's website, books and YouTubes. I saw this recipe on his website and wanted to make it. I've made several vegan Beefless Stew's (look under the search option), but thought I wold give this one a try. No oil, no salt or sugar used. It's damned good. I'm putting a link to his recipe so I hope I'm okay with posting this. The one thing I did different, instead of blending 2 cups of the stew and adding it to the pot to thicken. I added 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch to a little water, then I added that to the pot to thicken it up.

  • 1 1/2 large sweet onions, chopped into 3/4 inch pieces
  • 3 medium carrots, sliced lengthwise and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
  • 3 stalks celery, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
  • 10 baby bellas, cut into thick slices
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
  • 5 cups water
  • 2 pounds white potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch chunks (I had baby potatoes and I quartered them)
  • 1/3 cup tomato paste (half of a 6-ounce can)
  • 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 1/2 cups English peas

Heat a tablespoon of water in a soup pot over medium-high heat. When the water starts to sputter, add the onions, carrots and celery. Cook stirring frequently about 8 minutes, adding more water as needed. Stir in the mushrooms and garlic. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes, adding water as needed.

Add the water, potatoes, tomato paste, Italian Seasoning and papriks. Bring to a boil, uncovered. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the rosemary. Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until carrots and potatoes are very tender.

Add the peas and cook about 5 more minutes.

I added a slurry of cornstarch and water (1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch to enough water to stir easily) to thicken this stew.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment