Sunday, January 22, 2017

Smoky Vegetable & Wheat Berry Soup

Am I the only one that could eat soup every single day?? Even though this has been a very warm winter I am still making and loving soup. A friend gave me some wheat berries, she had used some for bread, I still haven't made that yet. So, I decided to use some in this soup. I used collards in this because it is what I had on hand, but you could use kale or even spinach.


  • 2 cans white beans, I used Great Northern, rinsed and drained
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium leek, white and light-green parts, sliced (1 cup)
  • 1 carrot, peeled and chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped (1/3-1/2 cup)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 5 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with liquid
  • 1/2 cup wheat berries
  • 2 cups collards (or green of your choice), sliced
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped


Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add leek, carrot and celery, season with salt and pepper.

Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are brown around the edges. Add garlic and smoked paprika, give it a good stir.

Add broth, tomatoes, wheat berries and collards and bring to a boil. If you are using a more delicate green wait and add it with the beans later.

Cover and simmer on medium-low for about an hour until the wheat berries are tender.

Stir in beans and parsley. Cook until hot, about 5 minutes.

Serve with your favorite glass of wine and some crusty bread.
Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment