Saturday, October 19, 2013

Lasagna Rolls

Just about everyone loves a good dish of lasagna. I decided to make rolls instead of large casserole dish. I've seen several recipes online and I made smaller versions of these (my pre-vegan days) for a shower. These were so delicious and leftovers were a breeze to reheat. You should try this simple recipe. I used Tofurky ground beef  however you could crumble some vegan Italian Sausage and I know that would be awesome. I served these with a mixed greens salad that I received from the CSA I recently joined.
14-18 lasagna noodles
1 tablespoon  extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves  garlic, minced
1 14-ounce package  extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained, rinsed and crumbled
3 cups  chopped spinach 
1/4 cup  vegan parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
1/4 teaspoon  crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon  salt
1 package Tofurky ground beef 
1 25-ounce jar  marinara sauce, preferably lower-sodium, divided
1/2 cup  Diaya shredded mozzarella cheese

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse, return to the pot and cover with cold water until ready to use. I usually cook a few more noodles than needed incase some fall apart during cooking. (I only had a partial package and used what I had.)

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. 
Add tofu, ground beef and spinach and cook, stirring often, until the spinach wilts and the mixture is heated through, 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in Parmesan, crushed red pepper, salt, Italian seasoning and 2/3 cup marinara sauce.
Spray an oval casserole dish with cooking spary and coat the bottom with some of the marinara sauce. To make lasagna rolls, place a noodle on a work surface.
Spread a heaping 1/4 cup of the filling along it. 
Roll up.
Place the roll, frilly sides up, in the pan. Repeat with the remaining noodles and filling. (The tofu rolls will be tightly packed in the pan). 
Spoon the remaining marinara sauce over the rolls.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. 
Sprinkle the rolls with mozzarella and cook, covered, until the cheese is melted and the rolls are heated through, about 5-7  minutes.
Serve hot.


8 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of tofu, do you think this would work without it?

    Britni @ play. Party. Pin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britni, Thanks for stopping by.... well the tofu is used in place of a ricotta filling. If you are vegetarian you could use real ricotta instead or if you are vegan, maybe a vegan cream cheese??? Let me know how it turns out if you decide to make it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You should make them Linda. They are pretty quick to get together. If you try them let me know what you think. Thank you for stopping by my kitchen.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of lasagna rolls and I love your version! Wondering if I could sneak it on my hubby... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke,
      Thanks for visiting my blog -- I think your husband would love these, mine did. You can always add/subtract whatever ingredients you wish to the mix. Let me know if you try them.
      Gloria

      Delete
  4. What a great idea, and lots of fun. I would do a couple of different versions to please my picky family, some with meat for those of us who like it that way, others with your filling for my vegetarian daughter. They could easily bake in the same dish, as long as I remember which are which! Thanks for sharing on The Weekend re-Treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      You could put a little sprig of basil on top of the vegetarian ones so you would know which are which. Thank you for stopping by my kitchen and I love posting on The Weekend re-Treat!!!

      Delete