- 2 cans white beans, I used Great Northern, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek, white and light-green parts, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 celery stalk, chopped (1/3-1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1/2 cup wheat berries
- 2 cups collards (or green of your choice), sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add leek, carrot and celery, season with salt and pepper.
Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are brown around the edges. Add garlic and smoked paprika, give it a good stir.
Add broth, tomatoes, wheat berries and collards and bring to a boil. If you are using a more delicate green wait and add it with the beans later.
Cover and simmer on medium-low for about an hour until the wheat berries are tender.
Stir in beans and parsley. Cook until hot, about 5 minutes.
Serve with your favorite glass of wine and some crusty bread.