- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Basmati rice
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, turmeric, cumin, 1 teaspoon of the salt, the black pepper, and rice. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
Add the water and bay leaf; bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is done, about 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
In a large glass combine the beans, bell pepper, and tomatoes.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt, the white wine vinegar, and cilantro. Toss gently to combine.
Add the desired amount of rice and toss well.
Garnish with cilantro and serve.